Note:

Click on the tab below for an interactive map of venues visited in each location. Each city visited offers many more things to do, places to visit and dining options than I have the ability to visit. The descriptions and accounts in this blog are based on my own thoughts, experiences and opinion. If there are any great places that I've missed and aren't described or listed in each of these locations please shoot me a note and I'll add them to the 'wish list' for my hopeful return.

Monday, August 22, 2016

The River House - Portsmouth NH

The River House
53 Bow Street
Portsmouth NH
603-431-2600

Hours:
Open daily at 11:00 AM

Website: The River House

Description:

The River House offers both indoor and outdoor casual waterfront dining and our party enjoyed patio seating overlooking the Piscataqua River.  For a formal or more romantic experience or during hot, humid or inclement weather I'd recommend indoor seating.  Bar seating and a few tables are available downstairs.

The River House was voted "Best Chowder in New England" by New England Cable News (NECN) viewers for it's seafood chowder described as "A hearty, rich, creamy clam stock brimming with lobster, scallops, shrimp, clams, and haddock. A house specialty…and Gluten Free!"

I counted six shrimp in the 8 oz. cup of creamy broth filled with much more seafood than potatoes.  My only regret is ordering the cup instead of the bowl because I was scraping the sides to scoop every little bit and piece of chowder I could find in the small cup. 

For dinner I enjoyed the fried fresh haddock nuggets which were lightly breaded with light and flaky haddock pieces.  The golden finish on the perfectly fried fish tasted excellent.  Served with cole slaw, french fries and a house tartar sauce with a lemon wedge.  It was a great meal and highly recommended.

Star Rating: 4.5
Price Range: $$$
Menu: Dinner Menu

Granite compass outside the rear patio
The River House front entrance


View of the tug boats and Piscataqua River Bridge from the back patio


No comments:

Post a Comment